Sunday, January 8, 2012

$1 Front Porch Light Makeover

Our latest project:

Updating the sad porch light out front. The thing was beat to smithereens during a record breaking hail storm last April.

Well. That … and it was just plain ugly to begin with.

Behold, I give you more brass:

rustoleum oil rubbed bronze spray paint front porch light fixture 5

And then, a few minutes later after we kicked its butt with some Rust-Oleum Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint:

rustoleum oil rubbed bronze spray paint front porch light fixture 2

Total cost: About a dollar. Booyah.

And here is the front porch ceiling light before …

rustoleum oil rubbed bronze spray paint front porch light fixture 4

Ummmm … that would be 7 years of gross. So. Disgusting. So, we cleaned it out real good, scraped the white paint of the places where the lazy painters made their mess … hit it with a little spray paint and …

rustoleum oil rubbed bronze spray paint front porch light fixture

SHAZAAM!!! Now, I realize this light is way up high and probably no one but me ever looks at it … but I sleep all warm and fuzzy at night knowing it was taken care of. ;)

rustoleum oil rubbed bronze spray paint front porch light fixture 6

And that, my friends, is how you save yourself a quick hundred bucks on front porch lighting. Man. I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Rustoleum.

rustoleum oil rubbed bronze spray paint front light before after

Saving the world. One ugly porch light at a time.

11 comments:

  1. Booyah! That 1 dollar transformation is very impressive! Your outdoor porch is now more beautiful than ever.
    - Allison Shallenberger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!! I have those exact light and you inspired me to fix mine. They look brand new. I had one that has wonky, twisted with broken glass panels after Hurricane Ike. (yes, it's been awhile.) I was able to find a very similar one at the Habitat for Humanity Restore and use it for parts. It is a great place to fix up items.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm visiting from Roadkill Rescue where I found your light transformation...I love spray paint, don't you?? Great job - it looks brand new!

    Cheryl @ The Creative Me and My McG

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It’s not as bad as one would think, but it did look better with the new paint. You might also want to change the light bulb, if you're aiming to make the area more noticeable without spending much. I see this is a porch light, so I think you need a brighter cast so you could see what’s going on outside from the inside.

    Bryan Hubbard @ Douthit Electrical

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look great. I think I will try that with our porch lights in the house we just purchased.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So is there an easy way to tape the glass? I can see spray paint going beyond the aim, precision with spray paint?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea! Did you tape and cover over the glass and surrounding areas or did you remove the porch fixtures first?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea! Did you tape and cover over the glass and surrounding areas or did you remove the porch fixtures first?

    ReplyDelete
  10. It doesn't look like the same glass surround, the first has a 4 panel lantern and the 2nd looks like a hexagon. Did you add more glass panels?

    ReplyDelete
  11. did you just tape off the glass and spray?

    ReplyDelete