Friday, January 6, 2012

$15 alternative to painting a dresser

Six years ago, my husband and I took a trip to Haverty’s to buy some furniture for our unborn son. We are sort of furniture snobs … when it comes to dressers and beds, we only buy solid wood. Period. End of discussion.

IMG_3180

At the time, we were rookie furniture buyers. And the set of bunk beds and matching dresser that met our durability criteria only came in this natural color. Not my favorite. At all. BUT, I’d rather have a natural colored dresser that withstands the test of time, than a different color of junky furniture that we’d have to replace in a couple years. I digress.

So, we made the purchase.

It has since been moved into our daughters room. We did not paint our son’s room bright pink. We aren’t that harsh.

Anyway, I never liked the wooden knobs on the dresser.

IMG_2903

Never. Seriously … wooden knobs?!

But, I always had the intention of replacing them with some beautiful metal knobs … and then got busy making babies, building my own preschool, being a mom and wife, yadda yadda … and those metal knobs went by the wayside.

Now that we’re on this kick to actually follow through with all of our intended projects, for the lowest bottom dollar, I did what I always do these days: I sent Superman to the garage to spray paint those knobs. (yes, Rust-Oleum Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint)

And, see the mirror that is sitting on the floor behind the dresser? Yeah. A friend gave us that mirror 3 years ago when she re-did and room in her home and no longer needed it. We intended to frame it. 3 years ago. Sigh. So … I sent him to the garage with the mirror while I ran to Home Depot to buy $10 worth of baseboard. :D

A few hours later:

IMG_3180

We had a beautiful framed mirror … and a revamped dresser … with minimal effort. The project took only a couple hours of time … and less than $15 (baseboard and paint), since we already had the mirror. However, you can frame a purchased sheet of mirror, which  you can buy at Home Depot for cheap!!!

And now, the before and after:

Ashley's room before after 1

Completely changes the look of the whole thing … hardly any work, hardly any money. That mirror looks way more expensive than $10, don’t you think?

I’m telling you … don’t bother sanding, scraping, priming, and painting. Paint up the knobs to match a nice framed mirror. Booyah.

No comments:

Post a Comment